If you are using the ESET Endpoint Encryption (EEE) Server to manage your users and you want to change a EEE client from a standalone installation, to a managed installation please follow the steps below.
If you have encrypted any USB flash drives/hard drives, files, folders etc. on this workstation then they must be decrypted first before adopting the installation. If the system has been full disk encrypted then it is not necessary to decrypt it first, instead you can simply adopt the full disk encrypted system into your Enterprise Server. For more information about decrypting files and folders please see the related articles section near the end of this article. For more information about adopting a full disk encrypted machine please see the optional section.
- In the EEE Server navigate to the Workstation Policy tab and click the Download Settings File button.
- This will open the user interface asking if you would like to download the current format file or a legacy file format. Click Ok and save the .reg file to a USB flash drive or network location.
- From the system which has the standalone EEE client installed. Copy the .reg file to the desktop and double click it. You will be asked if you are sure you want to make changes to the registry. Click Yes.
- You will be asked for confirmation to apply changes to the registry and a dialog will appear confirming the changes have been applied.
- Click Close.
- Sign out of Windows, then sign back in.
- Double click on the EEE icon in the system tray area and you will be presented with the following activation dialog.
- Generate a new activation code for the User and enter it into the activation dialog.
See: KB216 - How do I activate a managed version of ESET Endpoint Encryption?
- Synchronize the EEE Server and then synchronize the client PC to update the status of the user.
See: KB195 - How do I manually synchronise the ESET Endpoint Encryption Client and Server?
Optional: FDE adoption
If you are taking over a standalone EEE client that is Full Disk Encrypted (FDE) already, then you can adopt the Workstation in the EEE Server to save time of going through decrypting the drives.To do this follow these steps:
- In the EEE Server navigate to the User, select Details and click Workstations.
See: KB332 - How do I view Workstation Details?
- Highlight the workstation and then click Goto.
- When the Workstation Details are displayed, click the Adopt button.
- Input the previous standalone FDE Admin credentials, new Admin credentials and password attempts, then click the Adopt button.
Note: the previous Admin password can be found in the adminpassword file that was created when the system was originall encrypted using the standalone EEE client. If incorrect credentials are provided for the original admin login an access denied alert will be returned to the EEE Server.
See: KB164 - Why do I need an admin password?
- Go to the EEE Server and click Proxy Sync you should see an alert in the lower right corner which reads Adopt FDE command processed successfully.
KB19 - How do I encrypt or decrypt folders?
KB317 - How do I encrypt or decrypt individual files?
Keywords: convert, standalone, managed, DESlock+